The book is always better than the film, or at least I tend to think so. So when I see that a new movie is soon to be released based off a book, I race to pick up the book before I see the movie. Or at least I try. The last few years have caught me unawares when it comes to book to film, seeing a movie only to find out after that it was actually a book first. So this year I’m preparing myself. So with the help of Buzzfeed and other online news posts, I’m sharing with you 2016’s must read books before they’re released as movies this year!
- The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey: I’ll start with this one because it is what I’m currently reading. You may be sick of the dystopian, the world is ending, kind of teen novels but sorry, here’s another one. Truthfully, although I’m not dying to get caught up in another one of those, I’m quite enjoying the novel and it’s well written.
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs: I finished this book a few months ago after seeing it on best sellers lists for quite some time. It’s labeled as a young adult, but with it’s mix of mystery, humor, horror and fantasy anyone can enjoy it. I’m so excited to see how Tim Burton portrays this one.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them by J.K Rowling: Here you go Harry Potter fans. We finally have another film based on the spin off book, a textbook of Harry’s written by Newt Scamander. I’m quite excited for this one.
- Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell: An adorable coming-of-age novel that’s full of quirkiness and love. Rainbow Rowell has such a great arsenal of novels to choose from, but this is a great one to choose as the first film adaptation of her books.
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith: As a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice and all Jane Austen novels, my reaction to this book was nothing but endless laughs. The book is full of pride, and prejudice, but also nasty zombie attacks and the adventures of Elizabeth Bennett, zombie hunter. Can’t wait to see this on the big screen!
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins: If you haven’t heard of this one you must be living under a rock. I haven’t read it yet, but it’s loaded on my Kobo ready for my trip to Miami. This has been one of the hottest books over the past year. Everyone and their mother have read it. So get ready for Emily Blunt on the big screen for this adaptation.
You’ve also got sequels coming your way in 2016, such as the next Divergent film Allegiant, and the next two from the Maze Runner series, Scorch Trials and the Death Cure. The books above are ones that I have either read already or have every intention of reading soon. But there are so many more that are being released on film this year. You can check out a more in-depth list here. Happy reading my friends!