This past Monday (the third Monday of the year) has come to be known as “Blue Monday”, the most depressing day of the year. Winter gets everyone down, long dark days of bitter cold and very little sun. Obviously jetting off to sunny destinations is an instant mood booster in the winter, and I highly suggest doing so, but not everyone has the time or money for vacations at the last minute. So how do you find mood boosters right here and right now? What can you do to smile in the nasty, icky, snowy days?
A quick Google search will show you advice from psychologist claiming that decreased serotonin levels cause the winter blues. I have no idea what any of that means, so I’m not basing all of these tips on that stuff – it’s all me baby!
- Embrace the Cozy – Winter is going to get you down if you dwell on the dark and the cold. Constant complaints are not only creating a constant negative impact on yourself, but also for all those around you. So my number one advice is to embrace the wonderful parts of winter, such as snuggling in for cozy nights. Steaming mugs of hot chocolate, thick flannel blankets, and the fuzziest socks imaginable. That’s happy, isn’t it? Embrace those cozy days!
- Eat Right – I’m not telling you to diet – hell no! But eating junk when you’re stuck in the winter woes isn’t going to help anyone. Add some greens to your diet and cut back the carbs. Feeling a little healthier and lighter is certainly going to boost your mood, without even realizing it.
- Sweat it Out – Again, I’m not telling you to join and gym and get into a full-time workout routine (although I whole heartedly support that as well), but getting the blood flowing and the sweat sweating boosts all those serotonins I claim to know nothing about and will certainly boost your mood! It can be as simple as taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking short distances instead of driving, or taking a little jog around the block. Trust me, it’ll help!
- Sleep Smart – Get used to the fact that it’s still going to be dark when you wake up, so don’t sleep in too late. Unfortunately that’s a part of winter – more dark hours than sun. So if you’re already feeling pretty sluggish, don’t sleep too much. It’ll just make it worse.
- Keep the Parties Going – don’t make the cold weather an excuse! Keep going out with your friends on Friday nights, keep going on dates, and keep planning those fun events! You may just have to re-think certain outfits, but just because the weather is a little cold doesn’t mean you can’t still have fun! Stay connected!
What do you do to fight those winter blues?
Hi! I have been loving your blog lately so I decided to nominate you for a Liebster Award! You can check it out here: http://bookishbeauty.com/2016/01/25/the-liebster-award/