My lips have needed a little help lately. They’ve been chapped, sore, and are peeling and flaking like crazy (odd for the warm summer months). As I usually wear lipstick any chance I get, I need to make sure the lipstick goes on smooth and doesn’t cake and crumble. So a little prep and prime is in order.
Step 1: Exfoliate – There are a lot of great lip scrubs and buffers on the market, as well as some great DIY scrubs online. But I love the C.O.Bigelow Apothecaries Mentha Lip Buffer, a mint infused lip exfoliator with peppermint oil, shea butter and cocoa butter. You just need a tiny amount to rub between your lips, you can even use your fingers. Then just remove with a tissue or washcloth. Don’t want to purchase a buffer or exfoliator? Simply use a soft toothbrush and gently massage in circles on your lips. The bristle will work just like a sugar scrub to gently remove dead skin and leave your lips smooth.
Step 2: Condition – I don’t usually condition my lips right before I apply lipstick, but I sure do condition them often when my lips are bare. I have to make sure I’m doing what I can to keep them soft and smooth….am I right? I’m sure you’ve all heard me talk about the Blistex Daily Conditioning Treatment before. I’ve yet to find something that I love as much as this. If only it was in stick form so I don’t have to stick my finger in the pot (I use Qtips as applicators often).
Step 3: Prime – Before the lipstick application, you have to prime the lips. I’ve only started doing this recently and I can’t believe that I’ve been missing this step this whole time. I use my recently purchased Sephora Universal Lip Liner which lines the lips to prevent feathering and primes the lips all over for a smooth application and a perfect finish!! The primer makes the lipstick stick to the lips much better than without. It’s also waterproof, so no need for reapplication.
And there you have it! Your lips are prepped and primed and it’s time to apply your fav lipstick!! Do you have a favourite lip prep or prime product?
Once again it’s the end of the month. Sigh….I don’t want July to end. Roadtrips, camping, friends and fun….but now back to work (with a pretty good tan). July was a great month and I’m happy to say that I have dug myself out of the product rut from June. It just takes a few days of dolling yourself up to get back in the swing of things. So what products have I been loving this month?!
- It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In plus Keratin: After months of struggling with my hair I feel that I am finally getting somewhere….Remember that bad haircut in March? (see Instagram for proof). I feel that my regular hair products are finally working like they are supposed to with my hair, but it still needs a little bit of help. So until I finally have the length and am brave enough to return to the hairdresser (man do I need some shape up in here), I’ve been helping my hair with It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In plus Keratin. I spray it in my hair after a shower, before applying my other products. I find that the keratin really helps to work with the problematic frizz at the roots. I’ve also used this to shine up my dull hair when straightened, and smooth down fly aways. This truly is a miracle do-it-all hair product.
- Blistex Daily Conditioning Treatment – with the beating sun and the countless days of lipstick this month, my lips have suffered a little. I may have even had a small allergic reaction to something on my lips….or they were just chapped in a way I’ve never experienced before. Either way, the Blistex Daily Conditioning Treatment always sets me straight. And with an SPF of 20 it helped to protect them from further damage.
- MAC Sunbasque Sheertone Shimmer Blush – with a tan like this, extra bronzer just makes me look orange….but blush stands out like rosy doll cheeks. So I find the perfect middle and use my MAC Sunbasque shimmer blush – a perfect mix of both. Simple sunkissed rosy cheeks, applicated with my RealTechniques blush brush of course.
- L’Oreal Miss Manga Mascara – you can read my complete review of the L’oreal Miss Manga Mascara here – I’ve been absolutely loving it the whole month!! I’ve found my perfect mascara!
- The Body Shop Vitamin E Face Mist – I’ve actually stared using this one every single day right after I get out of the shower. Just a few spritzes and by the time it’s dry I’m ready for my day cream, perfect. With the heat, sun, and a slight tan on my face, extra moisture is necessary, and feels so refreshing.
There you have it. What have you been loving this month?!
As much as I love travelling to exotic places and big flashy cities, I LOVE travelling North to the Muskoka’s and the Canadian cottage country. There is nothing like relaxing by the lake while surrounded by the beautiful Canadian pines, like an image from the Group of 7 (my favourite group of Canadian artists). But when you’re going to be in the middle of nowhere with no one around and limited shower access what are you gonna do? So what do you pack for a long weekend of camping?
Most important is your SPF. No matter the weather, SPF is extremely important. Even on a cloudy day you can burn. I packed three different SPF products. The first is my sunscreen, the Neautrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen with an SPF of 60. This sunscreen is great! I find it hard to find a good one that isn’t greasy but has a high SPF. I feel confident enough with this SPF that I even put it on my face. The second SPF product I brought along was my Smashbox BB Cream that has an SPF of 15. Although this SPF is quite low, I usually apply it on top of my Neutrogena Sunscreen and I don’t feel the need to reapply throughout the day. Although I don’t see the need to bring makeup or foundation along on a camping trip, it’s nice to have the option of a tinted moisturizer or BB Cream for those days we travel into town to pick up some stuff at the local market. And finally, I always always bring my Blistex Daily Conditioning Treatment that has an SPF of 20. There is nothing worse than burnt lips!! SO painful. Personally I think conditioning and protecting your lips is just as, if not more, important than applying sunscreen on any other part of your body.
After the important SPF products, it’s always important to have soothing products for those ‘just in case’ moments when you forget to reapply the SPF. I’m not very picky with Aloe Vera brands, but I love the packaging and scent of the Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel. Although it’s super soothing, I sometimes worry about applying it on my face just in case it clogs my pores. So in that case I use Bioderma Hydrabio Serum, a super hydrating moisturizer for super sensitive skin, great on those sensitive burns. And finally, for an added boost of moisture and for easy conditioning I love the Body Shop’s Vitamin E Face Mist.
To round it all off, I never go camping or to the cottage without one of my Buff’s. If you’ve never seen a buff before or heard of buffs, they are amazing!! It’s a headband, scarf, bandana, shirt, wrist band and so many more things all roped into one!! Ever watched Survivor? They wear buff’s all the time. My buff obsession can be traced back to my camp counselor years – perfect for those hot showerless days to cover your unwashed hair. My buff is grey with a map pattern.
So what do you bring camping? Have you used any of these products before?