So we all know that college/university pretty much drains your bank account and leaves you selling your possessions on Kijiji just to afford the new makeup releases and launches (joking….). But it doesn’t have to be that way! You can still be a cosmetics covetor with a budget!
Now, I may not have practiced what I preach while I was a student, but looking back it may have been better to restrict my cosmetics budget in favour of food. Yet again I’m finding myself wishing I knew then what I know now. There are so many great cosmetics brands out there that don’t break the bank but are still amazing quality!
My favourite high-quality-low-cost brand would be ELF. Order-able online, this cosmetics line can cash in at under $5 per item! Over the years I’ve fallen hard for their $3 eyeshadow primer, their $8 16-shade eyeshadow palettes, as well as their $3 eyebrow kit! And they constantly have new releases! A great budget buy! Second of the budget lines would be Wet n Wild. This drug store brand is a little harder to find, but seems to pop up in grocery store beauty sections more than drug stores. With amazing nail polish shades ringing in at $0.99 and long-lasting lip colours at $1.99, I’d say it’s a steal. And last but not least, if you’re willing to bump up your pricing just over $10 per item, I’d say the best run for your money would be Maybelline. Although I’m a big fan of other drug store brands, Maybelline kills it in all categories: eyes, lips, face, etc. Some of the best eyeshadows in the business (in my opinion), ringing in at about $12 each, as well as my #1 mascara at $13 a tube. Well worth the price.
There are many other budget brands out there, especially once you venture out past the realm of Canadian drug stores. If you know any other great “student friendly” budget buys pop them down in the comments! Which are your favourites?
Hope your first week of classes are going well my friends!
Once again, another month come and gone. But with the ending of this month there also comes the end of a season (more or less). With friends and family returning to school and my job continuing my ever precarious contract, it’s time to settle into the swing of things again and embrace the coming of Autumn. With this new embrace, I think it’s time to set myself some blogging goals for the last four months of the year. These include but are not limited to: being prepared and writing in advance, spending more time with my camera, and giving in to the nerves of putting my face in this space more often. Four months go by quick in blogging life so time to end 2015 on a great note.
So getting back to the main event here: Top 5 favourites of August. These may come as no surprise to you since I seem to resort back to the same favourites every few months. But this time it’s a specific combo that has really got me hooked. Specifically the duo of my ever-fav Revlon Photoready Cream Blush in the shade Pinched (which I apply with the Real Techniques Stippling Brush), paired with the Body Shop’s Honey Bronze Bronzer in the shade 03. This combo seems to create the most perfect mix of a bronze glow! The cream blush has the slightest shimmer to it that renders highlighter unnecessary. Seriously! I feel so bright and semi-strobed!
I also haven’t been able to put down my Sephora Contour Eye Pencil in the shade Stiletto this summer! I’ve been suggesting it to all my friends and have even chatting about it with other bloggers! This is a great pop of colour on the eyes that isn’t too dramatic and actually stays put! 12 hours of wear in this bad boy. Yet although my eye liner stays, my eyeshadow hasn’t been on these hot and humid days. So I’ve pulled out my ever trusty E.L.F Mineral Eyeshadow Primer a $3 dupe of all those other ones out there that is perfect for all day long eyeshadow wear!
And last but not least is something I’ve already reviewed here. It’s the Una Brennan Super Facialist Cleansing Oil, my new favourite face product. It’s an orange scented cleansing oil that leaves my face feeling super soft and moisturized after cleansing. My face has been loving it!
What have you been loving this past month and summer? Bring on the Autumn and my favourite warm colours and scarves! I can’t wait!
A few days late on this one, sorry folks. I could say I’ve been busy…but sitting on a beach with a drink in my hand is really no excuse. I’ve returned home now and as I nurse a crazy sunburn and a recently neutered cat, I finally have time to share my March favourites with you.
I will once again admit to a few make-up less days this past month. It’s been another busy one, but I’m heading back out on the road next week so hopefully back to some later starts to my day and some more time for me in the morning. For the month of March I’ve been enjoying some really basic products.
1. Elf Eyebrow Kit – I’ve tried a few different eyebrow fillers recently and haven’t been overly fond of any of them. But I picked up the Elf Eyebrow Kit at Target about a month ago and I love it. Perfect match to my eyebrows and easy-peasy.
2. Covergirl Flamed Out Eyeshadow in Melted Caramel – This is such a perfect all over simple eyeshadow. And the fact that it’s in pencil form makes everything that much easier. No other colours needed. Another easy product for quick mornings.
3. The Body Shop’s Honey Bronzer #3 – This is the second month in a row this guy has made it onto my top 5 list. It’s just so simple and such a great colour, a beautiful honey glow. I’m quite happy with this one!
4. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser – With the endless early mornings for the past three months the dark circles have been getting bigger and sinking deeper. Its about time to pull out the under eye cream, but to start this product has been doing wonders to hide the darkness. So far this is the best product I’ve found and the best match for under my eyes, even when put up against the more pricey concealers.
5. Orly Nail Lacquer in Dare to Bare – I was so excited for vacation last week for the chance to finally paint my nails!! I didn’t have time for a full on manicure, so I did it myself and treated myself to a new nail polish. Nude nails have been really in lately and from what I see they are the nail of the season. This colour is perfect!! Just a few shades lighter than my skin colour, which is apparently the way to do it. I’ve never used Orly Nail Lacquer before but I think I’m sold. This is the longest lasting nail polish I’ve ever used. and I just absolutely loved it. Haven’t been this happy with a nail polish in a long time.
So there you have it. What did you love using in the Month of March? And early April favourites?