I’ve been feeling a little spendy for the month of June, and for the first time in a long time all 5 of my monthly favourites are new products in June. Much of my shopping has been to replace those products I refuse to go without (if you saw my last ’empties’ post you’d understand the dire need to spend money), but many of these products are new to the stash and have been on my shopping list for a long time.
The first product I purchased this month was the long-desired Anastasia Brow Wiz. I know I ranted about the price recently, and how there are several brow products out there that are just as good, but I caved. And I’m so glad I did. I love how natural my brows still look after filling them in with this. Alongside that I splurged and spur of the moment picked up the Smashbox Contour Kit. I don’t own any other contouring products and have wanted to give them a go for a long time, but have always been overwhelmed by the amount of products in the palettes. Smashbox sold me with simplicity (good job Smashbox). I’m still playing around with the three shades, but it’s an easy to use, simple contour palette and I’m loving it!
After posting a rant about my undying love for the Maybelline 24h Color Tattoo eyeshadows, I had to go get more. I picked up two more of the ‘leather effect’ line and have been loving the shade Vintage Plum. It’s a light, simple lilac shade that is perfect for everyday wear. Since they’re really buildable you can have a light shimmer of plum, or dark and bold plum eyes!
And last but certainly not least, the two lipsticks. I may have gone overboard recently. I finally returned my empty compacts for a Back to MAC free lipstick! Seeing as it was free, I probably should have taken the time to be daring and try something I probably would never spend money on. Instead I took the safe route and picked up a shade that has been on my list for a long time, MAC’s Lustre Lipstick in the shade Plumful. After bringing it home I’ve come to realize I have about 10 of this exact same shade from about 6 different brands….I have a problem. But my favourite of them all is the L’Oreal Collection Privee The Perfect Red’s By Julianne. I’ve been searching for about a year for this (as well as Blake’s which I also picked up), but I put it off and put it off until the line was no longer sold! They’ve moved on the the Perfect Nudes collection, but I found the red’s in a tiny town Walmart and I jumped for joy!! I love this cherry pop red!!!
As much as I love travelling to exotic places and big flashy cities, I LOVE travelling North to the Muskoka’s and the Canadian cottage country. There is nothing like relaxing by the lake while surrounded by the beautiful Canadian pines, like an image from the Group of 7 (my favourite group of Canadian artists). But when you’re going to be in the middle of nowhere with no one around and limited shower access what are you gonna do? So what do you pack for a long weekend of camping?
Most important is your SPF. No matter the weather, SPF is extremely important. Even on a cloudy day you can burn. I packed three different SPF products. The first is my sunscreen, the Neautrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen with an SPF of 60. This sunscreen is great! I find it hard to find a good one that isn’t greasy but has a high SPF. I feel confident enough with this SPF that I even put it on my face. The second SPF product I brought along was my Smashbox BB Cream that has an SPF of 15. Although this SPF is quite low, I usually apply it on top of my Neutrogena Sunscreen and I don’t feel the need to reapply throughout the day. Although I don’t see the need to bring makeup or foundation along on a camping trip, it’s nice to have the option of a tinted moisturizer or BB Cream for those days we travel into town to pick up some stuff at the local market. And finally, I always always bring my Blistex Daily Conditioning Treatment that has an SPF of 20. There is nothing worse than burnt lips!! SO painful. Personally I think conditioning and protecting your lips is just as, if not more, important than applying sunscreen on any other part of your body.
After the important SPF products, it’s always important to have soothing products for those ‘just in case’ moments when you forget to reapply the SPF. I’m not very picky with Aloe Vera brands, but I love the packaging and scent of the Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel. Although it’s super soothing, I sometimes worry about applying it on my face just in case it clogs my pores. So in that case I use Bioderma Hydrabio Serum, a super hydrating moisturizer for super sensitive skin, great on those sensitive burns. And finally, for an added boost of moisture and for easy conditioning I love the Body Shop’s Vitamin E Face Mist.
To round it all off, I never go camping or to the cottage without one of my Buff’s. If you’ve never seen a buff before or heard of buffs, they are amazing!! It’s a headband, scarf, bandana, shirt, wrist band and so many more things all roped into one!! Ever watched Survivor? They wear buff’s all the time. My buff obsession can be traced back to my camp counselor years – perfect for those hot showerless days to cover your unwashed hair. My buff is grey with a map pattern.
So what do you bring camping? Have you used any of these products before?
The days are getting longer and warmer, and I feel that my love of the sun is reflected in the products I’ve been loving this past month.
1. Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream– Seeing as I have a slight tan at the moment, I’ve been looking for something with much lighter coverage. Nothing worse than wearing the same foundation while tanned as your pasty face wore all winter. White face much? That’s why this BB Cream has been working wonders. BB creams, as most of you probably know, are tinted moisturizers rather than full coverage foundations. This Smashbox BB Cream is also broad spectrum SPF 35! Most foundations are only around 15 if they have any SPF at all. This is why I think this little guy will be a fav for the summer.
2. Revlon Photo Ready Cream Blush in Pinched – I was really unsure of this one when I picked it up a few months ago. As much as I love Revlon products I always have an internal struggle when purchasing due to the fact that there are rarely testers in the local Shoppers. But I chanced this one and was pleasantly pleased. The light pink cream blush has a sweet dewey finish and is such a simple and subtle cheek colour. I always apply cream blushes with my finger tips, but you can also use a stippling brush or a round headed foundation brush.
3. Origins GinZing Eye Cream– I’m pretty sure I’ve discussed my love of this before. Such a refreshing feeling. It instantly brightens and de-puffs my eyes and now that the weather is getting so sunny and warm I’m really enjoying a brighter, fresher look to my face! This has become a staple of my pre-makeup routine. A little moisturizer and GinZing Eye Cream make for an important start to my day! Can’t wait to try more Origins products. Any suggestions?
4. The Body Shop Vitamin E Face Mist– Once again I’m discussing my love of the Body Shop’s Vitamin E line. I’ve mentioned it a lot lately. I just love it so much. And this little baby is no exception. The Vitamin E Face Mist is perfect after my morning face wash. It instantly refreshes and moisturizes my face with a boost of vitamin E to prepare it for the day. With air conditioning pumping through every building I step into nowadays, my skin has been drying out pretty fast (just after I fixed the dry damage from the winter – can’t catch a break). So a spritz of this is required.
5. L’Oreal Magic Lumi Concealer– It’s taken me awhile to warm up to this one, and I’m still not entirely convinced. I don’t use concealer on a regular basis but lately when I do use it I find myself reaching for this one. I’ve head a lot of great things about it from other bloggers so I’ve stuck with it. The shade I have (Light 862) is a perfect match for me. I’m going to stick with it!
So there you have it. My top 5 of May. I’m so excited to be into the warm weather and summer months now, and I can’t wait to delve further into the world of makeup as my blog is coming upon it’s 1 year anniversary!! Thanks for reading my friends! And happy shopping.