This past Monday (the third Monday of the year) has come to be known as “Blue Monday”, the most depressing day of the year. Winter gets everyone down, long dark days of bitter cold and very little sun. Obviously jetting off to sunny destinations is an instant mood booster in the winter, and I highly suggest doing so, but not everyone has the time or money for vacations at the last minute. So how do you find mood boosters right here and right now? What can you do to smile in the nasty, icky, snowy days?
A quick Google search will show you advice from psychologist claiming that decreased serotonin levels cause the winter blues. I have no idea what any of that means, so I’m not basing all of these tips on that stuff – it’s all me baby!
- Embrace the Cozy – Winter is going to get you down if you dwell on the dark and the cold. Constant complaints are not only creating a constant negative impact on yourself, but also for all those around you. So my number one advice is to embrace the wonderful parts of winter, such as snuggling in for cozy nights. Steaming mugs of hot chocolate, thick flannel blankets, and the fuzziest socks imaginable. That’s happy, isn’t it? Embrace those cozy days!
- Eat Right – I’m not telling you to diet – hell no! But eating junk when you’re stuck in the winter woes isn’t going to help anyone. Add some greens to your diet and cut back the carbs. Feeling a little healthier and lighter is certainly going to boost your mood, without even realizing it.
- Sweat it Out – Again, I’m not telling you to join and gym and get into a full-time workout routine (although I whole heartedly support that as well), but getting the blood flowing and the sweat sweating boosts all those serotonins I claim to know nothing about and will certainly boost your mood! It can be as simple as taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking short distances instead of driving, or taking a little jog around the block. Trust me, it’ll help!
- Sleep Smart – Get used to the fact that it’s still going to be dark when you wake up, so don’t sleep in too late. Unfortunately that’s a part of winter – more dark hours than sun. So if you’re already feeling pretty sluggish, don’t sleep too much. It’ll just make it worse.
- Keep the Parties Going – don’t make the cold weather an excuse! Keep going out with your friends on Friday nights, keep going on dates, and keep planning those fun events! You may just have to re-think certain outfits, but just because the weather is a little cold doesn’t mean you can’t still have fun! Stay connected!
What do you do to fight those winter blues?
Nails are a touchy subject with me (I’m not able to paint my nails) I get it…the food service industry requires clean, un-polished nails, and I’m okay with that! But thinking back to my school days I would be painting and re-painting about three times a week. I had an un-dying love of polish and a passion for painting. So now when I have a few days off I jump right on the nail care and riffle through my collection to pick my favourites, even if only for a few days. On one of these recent occasions I had trouble picking and I realized I had quite a few favourites for Winter nail colours!
Now keep in mind I haven’t kept up with any of the new polishes out there. I’ve been relatively polish-free for about two years and all of my favourites are at least that old. I have recently moved on to love Orly polishes, as well as Essie and Sally Hansen, yet my favourites all happen to be O.P.I. I love the range of colours and textures, keeping it on the warmer and darker side for the shorter days and colder weather.
From left to right:
1. O.P.I. You Don’t Know Jacques! (French Collection) A grey/brown neutral tone that I love for autumn and winter
2. O.P.I. Russian Navy (Russian Collection) A deep blue/purple that can look almost black after two coats (similar to Lincoln Park After Dark)
3. O.P.I. Ski Teal We Drop (Russian Collection) A perfectly muted teal for those blue snowy days!
4. O.P.I. Vesper (James Bond Collection) The perfect maroon/burgundy for the warm cozy nights, textured with sand.
5. O.P.I. Just Spotted the Lizard (Spiderman Collection) Amazing contrast and light refracted colour changes. A fiery illusion to warm you up
What are your favourite colours for the winter weather?
Although July 1st is officially the day in which Canada celebrates its nationhood and celebrates the day in which it became a country 147 years ago , no Canadian is ever more proud of their country than the day we bring home an Olympic gold medal in hockey. I’m not really a massive sports fan, only really during tennis ATP season. But this morning, on the final day of the olympics, I awoke at 6:45am with the rest of this nation is preparation for the Men’s Gold Medal hockey game in Sochi. Already on a gold medal high from back-to-back golds in women’s and mens curling, as well as in women’s hockey, the stakes and the expectations were high. I think a large majority of Canada was already breathing a sigh of relief knowing that we were not going up against the USA, but we also knew that Sweden and the Triple Crown could give us a run for our money. But not quite….and Canada won 3-0. I don’t want to downplay any of the 10 golds, 10 silvers, 5 bronze and 25 medals in total that Canada won throughout the games, but with these 4 golds in the last three days, Canadians are proud to say that “we have won the Olympics”. Doesn’t matter if we won the most medals, or the most golds, but to all Canadians these medals have capped it off and have solidified a win in the hearts of all Canadians. So congratulations Canada – it’s moments like this that I’m so incredibly proud to be a Canadian from the true North strong and free.